Crispy Chickpea Pita
Photo: Quentin Bacon
More From Real Simple
Amount per serving
- Calories: 668
- Calories from fat: 32%
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Sodium: 1,528mg
- Carbohydrate: 96g
- Fiber: 15g
- Sugars: 16g
- Protein: 23g
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 15.5-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped, plus 1/2 cup whole parsley leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 plum tomatoes, diced
- 4 pitas or pieces flat bread, warmed
- 1 8-ounce container hummus
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chickpeas and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add the lemon juice, chopped parsley, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper and toss.
In a small bowl, combine the whole parsley leaves, tomatoes, and the remaining oil, salt, and pepper.
Divide the warm pitas or flat bread among individual plates and spread with the hummus. Top with the chickpeas, onion, and hot sauce. Serve with the parsley salad, yogurt, and lemon wedges.
Tip: For a particularly rich and tangy topping, use thick, creamy Greek yogurt.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes