Crispy Chicken with Piquillo Pepper Sauce
Sauteéing the chicken first gives it a golden, crunchy coating and delicious flavor. Finishing it in the oven means the outside won't overcook before the inside is done.
More From Coastal Living
- 13 peeled garlic cloves, divided
- 1 to 1 1/4 cups virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 (10-ounce) jar sliced piquillo peppers or roasted bell peppers, drained
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, divided
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 4 shallots, peeled and halved
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced
- 1/2 orange, thinly sliced
- 2 (4-pound) cut-up whole chickens
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Process 3 garlic cloves in food processor until finely chopped. Add 1/2 cup oil, piquillo peppers, honey, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, vinegar, orange juice, and 1/2 teaspoon each sea salt and black pepper; pulse until chunky, and set aside.
- 2. Place shallots, lemons, orange, and remaining 10 garlic cloves on a large, rimmed baking sheet (or divide among 2 jelly-roll pans). Drizzle with 3 tablespoons olive oil; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon paprika and 1/2 teaspoon each sea salt and black pepper.
- 3. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Dredge chicken in flour, shaking off excess. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon each sea salt and black pepper. Cook chicken, in batches, adding more oil if necessary; cook 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Transfer to baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon each paprika, sea salt, and black pepper. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until chicken is done. Transfer chicken to a platter with garlic, shallots, lemons, and orange; top with parsley.
- Tip: The high heat and bold flavors in the sauce will blunt the delicate flavor of extra virgin olive oil, so use a good-quality bulk variety.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note