This is one of my favorite chicken casseroles. I love the water chestnuts and the almonds. Great flavor. I make it and divide it in smaller containers and freeze it.
Crispy Chicken-and-Rice Casserole
Deliver with a tossed green salad and French bread.
Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings
More From Southern Living
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2 (10 1/2-ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (8-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 (3 1/2-ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup crushed cornflakes cereal
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- Cook rice according to package directions. Stir together cooked rice and next 10 ingredients in a bowl. Spoon into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with cereal.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Garnish, if desired.
- Note: Freeze casserole up to 1 month, if desired. Thaw casserole in refrigerator overnight. Bake, covered with aluminum foil, at 350° for 45 minutes. Remove foil, and bake 15 minutes more or until thoroughly heated.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles