This recipe was fabulous when I made it the first time, but myrecipes.com left out the sauce recipe.
Crisp Tofu, Shiitake, and Spinach Summer Rolls
These are particularly good with "Citrus Soy Dip." No time for frying? Substitute store-bought smoked tofu (find at Chinese and Vietnamese markets). To turn these rolls into a fun party appetizer, set out the fillings and a metal bowl of warm (about 100°) water, and let your guests roll their own.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 329
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Protein: 13g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Carbohydrate: 47g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Sodium: 151mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 10-oz. block firm tofu
- 1/4 cup grapeseed or olive oil, divided
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- About 2 cups loosely packed large (not baby) spinach leaves, stemmed
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps sliced
- 4 green onions, sliced
- Leaves and tender stems from 1/2 bunch mint
- Leaves and tender stems from 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 6 rice paper wrappers (8 in. diameter)
- 1. Cut tofu into 1/4-in.-thick slices, then gently press dry between doubled paper towels.
- 2. Whisk 2 tbsp. grapeseed oil, garlic, sesame oil, and soy sauce in a wide, shallow bowl. Dip tofu slices in marinade to coat both sides. Heat 1 tbsp. grapeseed oil in a frying pan over medium heat; cook tofu until golden and crisp, 15 minutes. Let cool; slice lengthwise into thin strips.
- 3. Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tbsp. grapeseed oil in frying pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 4. Dip a rice paper wrapper in warm water for a few seconds--just until it's pliable. Lay on plate and let sit 10 to 15 seconds, so the water soaks in.
- 5. Layer one-sixth of fillings on the bottom third of the wrapper, starting with spinach.
- 6. Lift filled edge up and over fillings and keep rolling it away from you, tucking fillings in firmly but gently and folding in the sides. (Stretching the wrapper as you roll helps.) Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per roll.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note