Very enjoyable meal! The salmon was very crisp and the potatoes and spinach really round out the meal. The lemon adds a nice fresh flavor to the menus.
Crisp Salmon with Lemony Spinach and Potatoes
All you need to round out this nutritious meal is a whole-grain dinner roll. Salmon and olive oil provide heart-healthy monounsaturated fat; the salmon also contributes omega-3 fatty acids. Japanese-style breadcrumbs, known as panko, are now widely available in supermarkets, and we often use them to create a crunchy crust on oven-fried fish and poultry.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 514
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 16.8g
- Saturated fat: 3.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Protein: 43.6g
- Carbohydrate: 48.1g
- Fiber: 5.5g
- Cholesterol: 87mg
- Iron: 4.9mg
- Sodium: 703mg
- Calcium: 127mg
- 2 large peeled baking potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 1/4 pounds)
- 1/3 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind, divided
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 teaspoon instant minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets (about 1 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (6-ounce) packages fresh baby spinach
- Oregano sprigs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place potatoes in a saucepan, and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes or until tender, and drain. Return potatoes to pan. Add buttermilk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon lemon rind, and juice; mash with a potato masher. Keep warm.
- Combine panko, onion, dried oregano, paprika, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a shallow bowl. Sprinkle salmon evenly with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Dredge fillets in panko mixture.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add salmon to pan; cook 2 minutes on one side or until browned. Turn fish over; place skillet in oven. Bake at 400° for 6 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness.
- While salmon cooks, heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic to pan; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add spinach, turning frequently; cook for 3 minutes or until spinach wilts. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon rind and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Arrange 1/2 cup spinach mixture on each of 4 plates; top each with 3/4 cup potato mixture and 1 fillet. Garnish with oregano sprigs, if desired. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This
Food & Wine