Crisp "Dirty" Rice
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 38
- Calories from fat: 12%
- Protein: 0.7g
- Fat: 0.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrate: 7.4g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Sodium: 28mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 4 cups vegetable or fat-skimmed chicken broth
- About 2 teaspoons Cajun spice blend (see notes)
- 2 teaspoons salad oil
- 1. Pour rice into a fine strainer and rinse well with cool water. In a 2- to 3-quart pan over high heat, bring broth and 1 teaspoon Cajun spice blend to a boil. Stir in rice; when boil resumes, reduce heat and simmer until rice is barely tender to bite, 10 to 12 minutes. Pour into a strainer over a bowl and drain well; reserve broth for other uses or discard. Mix 1 teaspoon Cajun spice blend with rice.
- 2. Rub 2 baking pans (each 10 by 15 in.) evenly with oil. Divide rice equally between pans and spread into a level layer.
- 3. Bake in a 375° regular or convection oven until rice is lightly toasted and crisp to bite, 10 to 13 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let cool in pan about 10 minutes. Rice may soften when cool; if so, return to oven and stir occasionally until grains are again crisp to bite.
- 4. Pour rice into a serving bowl. Add more Cajun spice blend and salt to taste. Serve, or store airtight up to 2 weeks.
- Nutritional analysis per tablespoon.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This