Crisp Chile-Lime Okra
At Bollywood Theater, in Portland, Oregon, Troy MacLarty fries thin slices of okra to crisp wisps, tosses them in a tangy-spicy salt, and serves them with a refreshing raita (spiced yogurt; recipe follows). You'll need a food processor with a slicing disk or a handheld slicer, such as a Benriner. It's also helpful to have a fine-mesh metal skimmer for frying.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 64
- Calories from fat: 64%
- Protein: 1.5g
- Fat: 4.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrate: 5.4g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Sodium: 386mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Indian red chili* or 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon amchoor* (ground dried green mangoes)
- 1 pound okra (preferably long pods), stem ends trimmed
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Double Cucumber Raita
- Lemon wedges
- 1. Line a rimmed baking sheet with paper towels. Preheat oven to 175° and set baking sheet inside.
- 2. Combine salt, chili, and amchoor in a small bowl and set aside.
- 3. To slice okra with a food processor, fit processor with a 4-mm. slicing disk. Working in batches, fill feed tube with okra pods, laying them on their sides and filling the feed tube compactly; slice. Or slice okra lengthwise 1/8 in. thick using a handheld slicer.
- 4. Pour enough vegetable oil into a large pot so it comes 1 1/2 in. up the sides. Heat over high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 360°.
- 5. Using a slotted spoon or Chinese spider skimmer, lower one-quarter of okra into oil and fry until deep golden, 2 to 3 minutes; it will crisp up as it cools. Transfer to a bowl, season with spiced salt to taste (start with a little), then transfer okra to pan in oven. If you have a fine-mesh skimmer, use it to remove and discard okra seeds from oil. Return oil to 350°, then cook remaining okra the same way.
- 6. Serve okra with raita and lemon wedges.
- *Find ground Indian red chile (also called chili powder, it's a mix of several chile types) and amchoor at Indian markets and khanapakana.com.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This