Fantastic! I actually added a little more creole seasoning than what the recipe called for. And to make it gluten-free, I used 1/2 tablespoon of cornstarch. Would serve this again for sure!
Creole Shrimp and Rice
Photo: Johnny Autry; Styling: Cindy Barr and Lindsey Lower
Creole Shrimp and Rice is table-ready in just 40 minutes. Creole seasoning adds a kick of spice to this quick and healthy meal.
Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: 1 3/4 cups shrimp mixture and 1/2 cup rice)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 283
- Fat: 7.3g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Protein: 17.9g
- Carbohydrate: 36.7g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 110mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 699mg
- Calcium: 164mg
- 1 (3 1/2-ounce) bag boil-in-bag long-grain rice
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 3/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Creole seasoning (such as Tony Chachere's)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1. Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- 2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Sprinkle shrimp evenly with Creole seasoning and red pepper. Add shrimp to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan.
- 3. Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and next 4 ingredients (through garlic) to pan; sauté 5 minutes. Combine milk and flour in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add milk mixture to pan; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium; cook 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add tomatoes and black pepper to pan; cook 2 minutes or until tomatoes are tender. Stir in shrimp; sprinkle with chives. Serve with rice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note