We really enjoyed making this dish even though it's very time consuming it is truly worth the effort... I added more Cajun Seasoning along with 2 tablespoons of Garlic and served it with fresh made Corn Muffins... All we can say is... "WoW" The next day it was pretty chili after cleaning up all the snow outside and felt the need for some soup. So I took all the leftovers and added them together and added about 3 cups of milk while reheating it... Once again it turned out Very Tasty... We shall take this recipe and make it again and again later converting it into a soup with the leftovers... Try it... You'll Love It!!!!
Creole Shrimp and Grits
The sauce for this Creole Shrimp and Grits recipe starts with a roux, which is browning flour in oil. Be sure to get into the corners of the pan when you stir so the flour there doesn't scorch.
More From Southern Living
- 2 pounds unpeeled, medium-size raw shrimp (26/30 count)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 1. Peel shrimp, reserving shells; devein shrimp, if desired. Bring shells and 4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low, and cook 20 minutes. Pour shrimp broth through a colander over a large bowl, pressing shells with back of a spoon; discard shells.
- 2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat; stir in flour, and cook, stirring constantly, until flour is caramel colored (about 8 to 10 minutes). Add onion and next 3 ingredients, and cook, stirring often, 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Stir in 2 cups shrimp broth, tomato paste, and next 4 ingredients. Reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes. Add shrimp, and cook 10 minutes, stirring in 1/4 to 1/2 cup remaining shrimp broth to reach desired consistency.
- 3. Meanwhile, bring milk, 2 1/2 cups water, and salt to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Gradually stir in grits. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened. Serve Creole Shrimp over grits.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note