- 1 1/2 cups dried lima beans, soaked and drained
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
How to Make It
Place beans in a large saucepan; cover with water 3 inches above beans. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 2 hours or until beans are tender. Set aside.
Saute onion and green pepper in butter in a large skillet until tender; add flour, stirring until well blended. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add tomatoes and water; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Add sugar and salt; pour over beans, and mix well. Cook an additional 20 minutes, stirring frequently.