- 1 (3- to 3 1/2-pound) broiler-fryer, cut up
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 cups diced cooked ham
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 1/2 quarts boiling water
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 3 cups sliced okra
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- Hot cooked rice
How to Make It
Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper; set aside.
Melt butter in a large stock pot over medium heat; add chicken and ham. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes. Add onion and green pepper; continue cooking until vegetables are tender. Stir in next 7 ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard bay leaves.
Ladle gumbo into serving dish; serve immediately over rice in individual serving bowls.