Creole Bread Pudding with Bourbon Sauce
This bread pudding is from New Orleans chef Leah Chase, the queen of Creole cuisine. And yes, it does call for 5 tablespoons of vanilla extract!
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 15 Minutes
- 2 (12-oz.) cans evaporated milk
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 (16-oz.) day-old French bread loaf, cubed
- 1 (8-oz.) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 large Red Delicious apple, unpeeled and grated
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup raisins
- 5 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and softened
- Bourbon Sauce
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk together evaporated milk, eggs, and 1 cup water in a large bowl until well blended. Add bread cubes, stirring to coat thoroughly. Stir in pineapple and next 4 ingredients. Stir in butter, blending well. Pour into a greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 35 to 45 minutes or until set and crust is golden. Remove from oven, and let stand 2 minutes. Serve with Bourbon Sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note