Creole Black-Eyed Peas
- 6 cups shelled fresh black-eyed peas, cleaned (about 3 pounds unshelled)
- 1 tablespoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon bacon drippings
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 hot red peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups sliced okra
- Combine peas, 2 teaspoons salt, bacon drippings, and water to cover in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Sauté onion, celery, and peppers in oil until vegetables are tender; add to peas. Stir in tomatoes, okra, and remaining salt. Simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes or until peas are tender.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables