- 6 cups shelled fresh black-eyed peas, cleaned (about 3 pounds unshelled)
- 1 tablespoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon bacon drippings
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 hot red peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups sliced okra
How to Make It
Combine peas, 2 teaspoons salt, bacon drippings, and water to cover in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 45 minutes.
Sauté onion, celery, and peppers in oil until vegetables are tender; add to peas. Stir in tomatoes, okra, and remaining salt. Simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes or until peas are tender.