Creole Beef Stew
- 1 1/2 pounds lean beef for stewing, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 ears fresh corn, cut from cob
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, scraped and sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium-size green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 pound green beans, snapped and strings removed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 1/4 cups water, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Arrange meat in bottom of a 3-quart casserole; layer potatoes, corn, tomatoes, carrots, onion, green pepper, and green beans on top of meat. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and pepper; pour 3 cups water over mixture. Cover and bake at 400° until bubbly; reduce heat to 325°, and continue to bake an additional 2 hours.
- Transfer meat and vegetables to a large serving bowl or tureen using a slotted spoon; reserve liquid in casserole. Combine remaining water and flour, stirring to make a paste; add flour mixture, remaining salt, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, and parsley to casserole, mixing well. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until gravy thickens.
- Spoon gravy over vegetable-meat mixture; serve hot.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note