Like other raters, I found the soup itself to be a little on the bland side, and too peppery. Would add a dash of cream or sour cream, or perhaps lemon juice to play up the flavor a little. The croutons, on the other hand, were to die for, especially the fresh tarragon! Don't skip that bit.
Creamy Zucchini Soup with Mixed Herbs
Parsley, tarragon, and chives are tossed with a light dressing and floated atop the soup on crostini. Pureeing the soup gives it body. Use extra caution when blending hot ingredients by holding a towel over the blender lid.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 125
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 3.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 5.5g
- Carbohydrate: 19.2g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 558mg
- Calcium: 45mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 9 cups (1-inch) sliced zucchini (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 5 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 16 (1/4-inch-thick) slices French bread baguette (about 4 ounces)
- Cooking spray
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 3/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 3 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and minced garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add zucchini, broth, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until zucchini is very tender. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Place half of the zucchini mixture in a blender; cover tightly, and process until smooth. Pour pureed zucchini mixture into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining zucchini mixture. Place pureed zucchini mixture in pan. Cook over low heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place bread slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Coat bread with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 5 minutes or until toasted. Rub bread with cut sides of garlic clove.
- Place parsley, tarragon, and chives in a small bowl. Combine 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, juice, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Pour over parsley mixture; toss well.
- Spoon 1 cup soup into each of 8 bowls. Divide parsley mixture evenly over toasted bread slices. Top each serving with 2 bread slices. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note