A very worthy make-ahead recipe. However, peeling and cubing kabocha squash is an ordeal-the skin is really thick and hard. Use butternut instead. Gruyere is just the right cheese, very nutty. Took almost an hour to bake-and my sqash cubes were 1/2 inch!
Creamy Winter Squash Gratin
Kabocha squash has a pale green rind and light orange flesh. Substitute butternut squash or pumpkin if you have trouble finding kabocha. Prepare the gratin a day ahead and refrigerate; store the breadcrumb topping separately. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until heated through.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 222
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 7.2g
- Saturated fat: 4.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 10.6g
- Carbohydrate: 31.2g
- Fiber: 4.8g
- Cholesterol: 22mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 453mg
- Calcium: 358mg
- 8 cups cubed peeled kabocha squash (about 3 pounds)
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 cups thinly sliced leek (about 2 large)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 (1-ounce) slices white bread
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Arrange squash in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until the squash is tender.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add leek and salt; cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Combine milk and flour, stirring well with a whisk. Add milk mixture to pan; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add cheese, pepper, and nutmeg; stir until cheese melts. Gently stir in squash. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1 1/4 cups. Add parsley and garlic; pulse twice to combine. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture evenly over squash mixture. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note