Husband raved, and he usually has a little, "hmmm, maybe a little more __ would be nice." Used minced garlic, not cloves in potato water. To the cheese sauce I added Emeril's Bayou Blast, Italian Seasoning, Garlic Powder, salt to taste and a touch of Onion Powder (all to taste ~ 1/4 tsp - 1/2 tsp each). It just needed a little more life! I was worried it would be too heavy, but layering allows some room for potato, and not just cheese sauce to overwhelm. Came out perfectly! Remember not to use all of cheese sauce in potatoes or it will be too saucy. Also, when making sauce roux of just milk & flour, consider adding flour gradually. I used a fork to get out most of the flour lumps, but struggled a little more than usual! :) All in all though it worked so well, so fast (boiling sliced potatoes really helped, and while they boiled, I made the sauce). I'm a slow cook, and all total had dinner on the table in about 45 minutes from start to finish (10 min wash, slice potatoes (while water came to boil), 10 min sauce time, 25 in bake time). Success!
Creamy Two-Cheese Potatoes Gratin
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Fonda Shaia
Yield: 6 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 262
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 4.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 10.5g
- Carbohydrate: 38.8g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 21mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 396mg
- Calcium: 239mg
- 2 pounds peeled baking potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups hot Cheddar Cheese Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Dash of paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place the potato slices and garlic cloves in a saucepan, and cover with water. Bring to a boil, and cook 8 minutes or just until tender. Drain.
- Combine the Cheddar Cheese Sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Arrange half of the cooked potatoes and garlic in a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour half of the sauce mixture over potatoes. Repeat the procedure with remaining potatoes and garlic and remaining sauce mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and paprika. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until bubbly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Creamy Two-Cheese Potatoes Gratin Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Casseroles