Creamy Tortellini With Peas
Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup)
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 225
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 12g
- Carbohydrate: 25g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 93mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 322mg
- Calcium: 12mg
- 1 (9-ounce) package fresh spinach tortellini
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cook fresh spinach tortellini according to the package directions. Drain well.
- 2. While the pasta cooks, melt unsalted butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, 1 minute. Add the flour and stir constantly, 30 seconds. Gradually stir in milk, then add the peas and basil. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture simmers and thickens slightly, 3 minutes. Remove the pan from heat, and stir in Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
- 3. In a large shallow bowl, toss the cooked spinach tortellini and the sauce. Serve warm.
- Quick tip: For an easy, earthy spin on this recipe, substitute 1 cup sliced mushrooms for the onion.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note