Creamy Tomato Soup with Roasted Garlic and Basil
Tomato paste adds a deep, rich, tomato flavor to the soup. Look for tomato paste in the traditional small can or now in the more convenient, easy-to-use tube.
More From Oxmoor House
Other: 10 Minutes
- Calories: 87
- Fat: 2.0g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 4.2g
- Carbohydrate: 12.5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 239mg
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Calcium: 49mg
- 1 whole garlic head
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, un-drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove white papery skin from garlic head (do not peel or separate the cloves). Wrap head in foil. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes; cool 10 minutes. Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven. Add garlic and onion; sauté until onion is tender. Add tomatoes and tomato paste; simmer 5 minutes. Add 2 1/2 cups chicken broth. Combine 1/2 cup broth and flour in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Add flour mixture to tomato mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Place soup in batches in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Return mixture to Dutch oven; stir in basil, half-and-half, and pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note