This was pretty easy and I am a soup novice. I made this for a weeknight dinner and look forward to eating the leftovers for lunch! We used low-fat cream cheese, vegetable stock (instead of chicken) and dried basil - next time I will do fresh basil and maybe add a carrot or two, as well as a bay leaf as I like the flavor it adds to veggie-stock-based recipes. I did not add any salt and actually found the recipe to be a little salty already from the stock. I added shredded parmesan to the soup and also to the croutons - delicious and easy. Would be great with a grilled cheese sandwich, or with a brown, nutty grain bread.
Creamy Tomato Soup With Crispy Croutons
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
More From Southern Living
Cool: 10 Minutes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (28-oz.) cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 (14-oz.) can chicken broth
- 1 (5-oz.) package Brie without rind, cut into pieces*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Chopped fresh basil (optional)
- Crispy Croutons
- 1. Sauté diced onion in 2 Tbsp. hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-low heat 8 minutes or until tender; add minced garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high; stir in chopped tomatoes and chicken broth, and bring mixture to a boil. Simmer, stirring often, 10 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Allow tomato mixture to cool 10 minutes; stir in Brie pieces until melted.
- 2. Process soup with immersion blender until smooth.
- 3. Cook soup over medium-low heat until thoroughly heated. Stir in salt, pepper, and, if desired, chopped fresh basil. Serve with Crispy Croutons.
- *2 (3-oz.) packages cream cheese may be substituted for Brie.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Alouette Crème de Brie.
- Crispy Croutons: Thinly slice 1 French bread baguette. Brush cut sides with olive oil; place on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Prep: 5 min., Bake: 10 min.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews