Creamy Tomato Soup
Smoked paprika and cumin round out the sweetness of San Marzano tomatoes. If you can't find these tomatoes, use a can of regular unsalted tomatoes.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 30 Minutes
- Calories: 74
- Fat: 3.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Sodium: 177mg
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot smoked paprika
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14.28-ounce) can chopped unsalted San Marzano tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add canola oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion, cumin, kosher salt, and paprika to pan; cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Increase the heat to medium-high. Add minced garlic; sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in tomatoes and chicken stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in half-and-half.
- 2. Place half of tomato mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining tomato mixture. Top with parsley and freshly ground black pepper.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note