Super easy and tasty soup. I added dill and roasted red peppers and served it with some cheesy bread - delicious!
Creamy Tomato Soup
Create your own heart-warming version of tomato soup that costs less than the can you'd buy at the store. In this recipe, crushed tomatoes are mixed with sautéed onion and garlic, pureed, then turned into a velvety concoction by stirring in heavy cream.
More From Allyou
- Calories: 123
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Protein: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 9g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- Sodium: 543mg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes, with juice
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, warmed
- Salt and pepper
- Warm oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until slightly softened and fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in flour to blend, about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes with juice and broth to saucepan, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Stir or whisk constantly until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Working in batches, carefully transfer soup to a blender and puree until smooth. Pour into a bowl until all soup is pureed. Return soup to saucepan, stir in cream and cook over low heat for 3 to 5 minutes, until heated through. Do not boil. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot in warmed cups.
This recipe also appeared in the February 2009 issue.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note