I'm confused - the copy about this recipe mentions evaporated milk but there is none listed in ingredients in my electronic version of this recipe in myrecipes.com which is where I saved it to. Am I the only one with this question? I glanced at the reviews and no other mention? Did the reviewers who liked it make with evaporated milk?
Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
This creamy low-fat soup gets its creamy texture from pureed sweet potatoes and goes perfectly paired with a light sandwich or salad. Since Creamy Sweet Potato Soup can be prepared quickly, in just under 15 minutes, it’s perfect to make in the morning to take to work.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 233
- Fat: 6.2g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 10.7g
- Carbohydrate: 33.9g
- Fiber: 5.1g
- Cholesterol: 12mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 530mg
- Calcium: 123mg
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, halved lengthwise (about 2 large)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 1 ounce fresh Parmesan cheese, shaved (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley leaves (optional)
- 1. Place potatoes, cut sides down, in an 11 x 7-inch microwave-safe baking dish. Add 1/4 cup water; cover with plastic wrap. Microwave at HIGH 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Cool slightly; discard potato skins.
- 2. Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 1 minute or until translucent. Stir in cumin and red pepper. Add stock to pan; bring to a boil. Place half of sweet potato and half of stock mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters); blend until smooth. Pour pureed soup into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining sweet potato and stock mixture. Stir in salt. Divide soup evenly among 6 bowls; sprinkle cooked bacon and Parmesan cheese evenly over top. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note