I thought this was excellent. Following other reviews, I left the mustard out completely. I also used a random mix of full-fat cheese we had around the house (mostly extra sharp cheddar), and I didn't measure it out carefully, so it was probably more than this recipe called for. The Worcestershire gave it a nice kick! It's nice to find a lighter mac and cheese, too, with no butter and some lighter elements. We ate it all-- and it's rare that there are no leftovers around here!
Creamy Stove-Top Macaroni and Cheese
Creamy macaroni and cheese is a recipe for comfort, while mustard, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce add some zip. Try making the stove-top dish with any short pasta, such as fusilli, farfalle, or cavatappi, or experiment with different cheeses.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 252
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 8.2g
- Saturated fat: 5.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 14.5g
- Carbohydrate: 30.9g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Cholesterol: 27mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 536mg
- Calcium: 312mg
- 4 cups uncooked medium elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta cooks, place flour, salt, and pepper in a large saucepan. Add milk, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Drop cream cheese by teaspoonfuls into milk mixture; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer 2 minutes or until thick and cream cheese melts, stirring occasionally. Stir in mustard, Worcestershire, and garlic; simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add cheddar cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Combine pasta and cheese sauce in a large bowl; toss well.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note