Creamy Squash Soup with Salad Topping
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 cups butternut squash chunks (1-in. pieces; use a 2 3/4-lb. squash or 1 1/2 lbs. chunks)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped Asian or ripe Bartlett pear
- About 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 qt. reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, plus lime wedges
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 3 radishes, sliced and cut into matchsticks
- 3 green onions, cut into 1 1/2-in. slivers
- 1/3 cup roasted, salted hulled pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 jalapeño chile, seeded (if you like) and diced
- calories 394
- caloriesfromfat 62 %
- protein 8.4 g
- fat 27 g
- satfat 6.7 g
- carbohydrate 35 g
- fiber 5.6 g
- sodium 1086 mg
- cholesterol 22 mg
How to Make It
Make soup: Heat oil in a wide 5- to 6-qt. pot over medium-high heat. Add squash, yellow onion, pear, 1 tsp. salt, and the pepper. Sauté until squash starts to brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
Add broth, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until squash is tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
Add half-and-half and almond butter to broth mixture. Whirl soup in batches in a blender until very smooth. Return soup to pot and cover.
Make topping: In a medium bowl, gently toss together radishes, green onions, pumpkin seeds, feta, and chile.
Reheat soup just to a simmer, if needed. Stir in lime juice and brown sugar, and add more salt to taste if you like. Ladle into bowls and serve with topping and lime wedges.
Recipe is gluten free when made with gluten-free broth.