I wasn't impressed. Solid recipe for sure, but not a stand out. Won' t be making again when there are other better recipes.
Creamy Squash and Apple Soup
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 115
- Calories from fat: 16%
- Fat: 2.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 3.8g
- Carbohydrate: 22.8g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 546mg
- Calcium: 59mg
- 5 3/4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 small (1-inch) cubed, peeled butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 large peeled sweet potato, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 teaspoons butter, divided
- 2 cups vertically sliced onion
- 1 1/2 cups sliced peeled Granny Smith apple
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine chicken broth, butternut squash, and sweet potatoes in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until squash and potato are tender. Remove squash and potato from pan with a slotted spoon, reserving broth. Mash squash mixture to desired consistency.
- While squash and potato cook, melt 1 teaspoon butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion and apple; cook 20 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Remove onion mixture from pan; set aside. Increase heat to medium-high. Melt remaining 3 teaspoons butter in pan. Add flour; cook for 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring constantly with a whisk. Gradually add 1 cup reserved broth, and cook for 3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Add the thickened broth mixture, mashed squash mixture, onion mixture, salt, and pepper to remaining broth in Dutch oven. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews