- 3 quarts water
- 2 ounces French bread baguette, torn into pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 1 1/2 cups (2-inch) diagonally cut asparagus
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 6 ounces uncooked fettuccine
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 3 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup packed)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- Butter-Roasted Carrots
- calories 408
- fat 13.8 g
- satfat 6.7 g
- monofat 4.5 g
- polyfat 1.1 g
- protein 17.6 g
- carbohydrate 54 g
- fiber 4.6 g
- cholesterol 33 mg
- iron 3.9 mg
- sodium 625 mg
- calcium 225 mg
How to Make It
Bring 3 quarts water to a boil in a Dutch oven.
Place torn bread in a food processor; process until coarse crumbs form. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 garlic clove to pan; sauté 1 minute. Add breadcrumbs; sauté 3 minutes or until golden brown and toasted. Remove breadcrumb mixture from pan; wipe pan clean with paper towels.
Add asparagus and peas to boiling water; cook for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Rinse under cold water; drain.
Add pasta to boiling water; cook 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain and keep warm.
Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and the remaining 2 garlic cloves; cook for 3 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Place flour in a small bowl; gradually whisk in chicken broth. Add broth mixture and milk to pan, stirring constantly with a whisk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from heat; add cheeses, salt, and pepper, stirring until cheeses melt. Add pasta, asparagus, and peas; toss well. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and tarragon.