Creamy Spring Onion Soup
Photo: © John Kernick
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 bunch(es) scallionswhite and tender green parts cut into 1-inch lengths, green tops thinly sliced
- 4 leeks, white and tender green parts only thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 ounces fresh goat cheese, 1/4 cup softened
- In a large pot, heat the oil. Add the white and tender green parts of the scallions, along with the leeks, fennel and onion; season with salt and white pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring, until the vegetables begin to soften, 15 minutes. Add the wine and boil over high heat until reduced to a few tablespoons, 12 minutes. Add the water and cream and bring to a simmer. Cook until the vegetables are very tender and pale green, 15 minutes. Add the scallion green tops and cook just until softened, 2 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender and return it to the pot. Season with salt and white pepper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the buttermilk with the goat cheese. Ladle the soup into shallow bowls, drizzle with the creamed goat cheese and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews