3 stars = good solid recipe. After reading the reviews, I felt it was important to taste the spinach mixture before adding it to the lasagna. I highly recommend this. I ended up adding some salt and pepper while it was cooking, and then adjusting after I added the milk mixture. I also found that my bottle of marinara didn't quite have the 'bite' that I wanted to go with the milder flavor of the spinach mixture, so I added some red wine vinegar. I might add some red wine vinegar to the spinach mixture next time. I also added extra garlic per previous comments recommendations, and cut the red pepper in half, but since we don't have little people in our house, I would probably go ahead with the full amount next time I make it. I worried that the noodle to filling to ratio was going to be too heavy with noodles, but in eating it, I found it balanced. I cooked the whole wheat noodles per the package directions, and found them to be over done, so will under cook them next time.
Creamy Spinach Lasagna
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 328
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 9.3g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 17.3g
- Carbohydrate: 45.6g
- Fiber: 6.9g
- Cholesterol: 19mg
- Iron: 3.1mg
- Sodium: 726mg
- Calcium: 371mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1/4 cups chopped onion (about 2 medium)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 3 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (26-ounce) jar marinara sauce, divided
- Cooking spray
- 12 cooked whole wheat lasagna noodles, divided
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- Parsley sprigs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook 10 minutes or until onion is browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic and spinach. Reduce heat, cover, and cook 3 minutes or until spinach is tender. Set aside.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, milk, salt, black pepper, and red pepper in a small saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add 2 cups milk mixture to spinach mixture. Cover remaining milk mixture, and set aside.
- Spread 1/2 cup marinara sauce in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 3 lasagna noodles over sauce; top with half of spinach mixture. Top with 3 lasagna noodles, 1 cup marinara sauce, and 3/4 cup cheese. Layer 3 more lasagna noodles, remaining spinach mixture, and remaining 3 lasagna noodles. Top with remaining marinara sauce. Pour reserved milk mixture over the top, and sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until lasagna is browned on top. Garnish with parsley sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes