This came out of the oven smelling amazing and looking perfect. Unfortunately, the flavor was off for me. I don't know if it was that the milk mixture was bland or there were too many onions. Aesthetically, it was the best lasagna I've ever made but definitely not from a taste standpoint. I'd pass on making this again.
Creamy Spinach Lasagna
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 328
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 9.3g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 17.3g
- Carbohydrate: 45.6g
- Fiber: 6.9g
- Cholesterol: 19mg
- Iron: 3.1mg
- Sodium: 726mg
- Calcium: 371mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1/4 cups chopped onion (about 2 medium)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 3 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (26-ounce) jar marinara sauce, divided
- Cooking spray
- 12 cooked whole wheat lasagna noodles, divided
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- Parsley sprigs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook 10 minutes or until onion is browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic and spinach. Reduce heat, cover, and cook 3 minutes or until spinach is tender. Set aside.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, milk, salt, black pepper, and red pepper in a small saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add 2 cups milk mixture to spinach mixture. Cover remaining milk mixture, and set aside.
- Spread 1/2 cup marinara sauce in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 3 lasagna noodles over sauce; top with half of spinach mixture. Top with 3 lasagna noodles, 1 cup marinara sauce, and 3/4 cup cheese. Layer 3 more lasagna noodles, remaining spinach mixture, and remaining 3 lasagna noodles. Top with remaining marinara sauce. Pour reserved milk mixture over the top, and sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until lasagna is browned on top. Garnish with parsley sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note