I make this recipe every fall. Always impresses my guests! It was the hit of our pumpkin recipe swap!
Creamy Southwestern Pumpkin Soup
More From Southern Living
Cool: 10 Minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 jalapeÃ±o pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Garnishes: sour cream, fresh cilantro sprig
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeño pepper, and garlic; sauté 15 minutes. Add chicken broth and next 4 ingredients; cook, stirring often, 30 minutes or until potato is tender. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly (about 5 to 10 minutes).
- Process potato mixture, pumpkin, and cilantro, in batches, in a food processor or blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.
- Return to Dutch oven; stir in milk, and simmer 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in lime juice; garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews