Creamy Shells and Cheese
Yield: 4 1/2 cups (serving size: 1 cup)
More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 331
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 18g
- Carbohydrate: 41g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 21mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 584mg
- Calcium: 252mg
- 1 1/2 cups small shell pasta, uncooked
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 3/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 (8-ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 8 stone-ground wheat crackers, crushed
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain pasta, and set aside.
- Cook chopped green onions and garlic in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until onions are tender.
- Add flour, basil, and milk, whisking constantly until mixture is smooth. Add cream cheese, and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 8 minutes or until mixture thickens. Add Cheddar cheese, hot sauce, and salt, stirring until cheese is melted.
- Spoon pasta into a 1-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Add cheese mixture, stirring well. Sprinkle with cracker crumbs.
- Bake, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note