Creamy Seafood Risotto
Photo: © Frances Janisch
- 3 cups bottled clam juice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice (10 ounces)
- pinch of saffron threads
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/2 pound cooked shrimp, cut into thirds
- 1/2 pound lump crab meat, picked over
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- In a medium saucepan, combine the clam broth and water and bring to a simmer. Keep warm.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and cook for 1 minute, stirring to thoroughly coat. Crumble the saffron into the wine and add it to the rice. Cook, stirring until the wine is absorbed. Add 1 cup of the warm clam juice and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until nearly absorbed. Continue adding the juice 1/2 cup at a time, and stirring constantly until it is nearly absorbed between additions. The risotto is done when the rice is al dente and suspended in a thick, creamy sauce, about 20 minutes total. Season with salt and pepper.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the shallot and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the shrimp and crab and cook until just heated through. Scrape the seafood into the risotto and stir in the parsley and mascarpone. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note