Creamy Rye and Butternut Squash Soup
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 1/2 pound(s) butternut squash
- 2 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) crushed red pepper
- 6 cup(s) water
- 1 teaspoon(s) kosher or sea salt
- 5 cup(s) 1-inch pieces stale rye bread without crust
- 2 tablespoon(s) finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1. Peel and seed squash. Cut into enough 1-inch pieces to make about 4 1/2 cups.
- 2. Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the squash and stir to coat with the oil. Add water and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until the squash is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 3. Mash about half the squash against the side of the pot to create a thick broth. Stir in bread; return to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the bread is beginning to break apart, 5 to 15 minutes (cooking time depends on how stale and/or dense your bread is).
- 4. Remove the soup from the heat; cover and let stand for 15 minutes. STir in parsley and serve.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by marybillingsley and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Creamy Rye and Butternut Squash Soup Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews