Love this soup so easy to make and so yummy
Creamy Roasted-Onion Soup
Photo: Karry Hosford
Roasted onion and a whole head of garlic are pureed to make a creamy, sweet base for the soup.
Yield: 4 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 157
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 4.2g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 9.2g
- Carbohydrate: 18.9g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Iron: 0.7mg
- Sodium: 496mg
- Calcium: 194mg
- 1 1/4 pounds Oso or other sweet onions, peeled and quartered
- Cooking spray
- 1 whole garlic head, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads (optional)
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or Madeira wine, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Place the onion quarters on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; lightly coat onion quarters with cooking spray.
- Remove white papery skin from garlic head (do not peel or separate cloves). Place garlic on a piece of aluminum foil. Drizzle with water; wrap in foil. Place wrapped garlic on baking sheet with onion quarters. Bake for 1 hour or until onion quarters are soft and lightly browned, turning after 30 minutes. Cool.
- Place onion in a large saucepan. Unwrap garlic; separate cloves and squeeze to extract pulp into pan. Discard garlic skins. Add saffron (if desired), broth, and bay leaf to pan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Stir in 3 tablespoons sherry, pepper, and salt. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
- Place half of the onion mixture in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Pour pureed mixture into a large bowl; repeat procedure with remaining onion mixture. Return onion mixture to pan; cook over low heat until thoroughly heated. Stir in 1 tablespoon sherry and juice.
- Ladle 1 cup soup into each of 4 bowls; top each serving with 2 tablespoons cheese. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews