Creamy Rice with Nopalitos
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 274
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 7.8g
- Saturated fat: 4.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 13.2g
- Carbohydrate: 35.9g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 344mg
- Calcium: 297mg
- 3 nopales (cactus paddles), trimmed (about 9 ounces)
- 2 poblano or Anaheim chiles (about 8 ounces)
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked basmati or other long-grain rice
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (8-ounce) carton plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 (8-ounce) carton fat-free sour cream
- 1 (4-ounce) jar diced pimiento, drained
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Place the nopales and chiles on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until chiles are blackened and nopales are tender, turning nopales once. Place chiles in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel chiles; cut in half lengthwise. Discard seeds and membranes; chop chiles to measure 1/2 cup. Chop nopales to measure 1 cup.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- While nopales and chiles cook, prepare the rice. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add rice, and sauté 2 minutes. Add broth, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Cool slightly.
- Add nopalitos (chopped nopales), chiles, yogurt, sour cream, and pimiento to rice mixture; stir until well-blended. Spoon mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray, and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes. Broil 8 minutes or until lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles