This recipe takes a lot of prep, but comes out delicious. It has a nice, full, creamy texture without the fat from cream and the apple flavor is very subtle. I didn't add as much blue cheese and still had the tangy flavor, so I would suggest using sparingly if you aren't a big fan of it. Overall, will definitely make this again.
Creamy Potato-Apple Soup
Yield: Makes 8 cups; about 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 218
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Protein: 9.2g
- Fat: 6.2g
- Saturated fat: 2.8g
- Carbohydrate: 34g
- Fiber: 7.6g
- Sodium: 571mg
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- 2 slices turkey bacon (1 oz. total), chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion (about 8 oz.), peeled and chopped
- 1 tart apple (about 8 oz.), such as Fuji, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 pounds thin-skinned potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- About 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup apple cider or juice
- 3/4 cup low-fat (1%) milk
- 3 to 4 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese (about 1 1/2 oz.)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1. In a 5- to 6-quart nonstick pan over high heat, stir bacon until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Add oil to pan; when hot, add onion, apple, and garlic. Stir often over medium heat until onion is very limp and beginning to brown, about 20 minutes. Add wine and stir until evaporated, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 2. Add potatoes, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 3 1/2 cups water; bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes mash easily, 25 to 30 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a 1- to 2-quart pan over high heat, boil apple cider until reduced to 1/4 cup, 8 to 15 minutes.
- 4. Add milk to potato mixture and, working in batches, whirl in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return to pan over low heat and stir in apple cider, cheese, nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir often just until hot, 2 to 3 minutes. Ladle into bowls and top with chives and bacon.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This