Great served as the main component of a dish with several veggie sides!
Creamy Polenta with Warm Tomato Compote
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
You can keep the polenta warm over very low heat for up to 30 minutes; stir in a little water or milk if it gets too thick. Have a guest serve the polenta while you're carving the lamb.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup polenta, 1/3 cup tomato compote, and 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 153
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 4.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 6.8g
- Carbohydrate: 21.6g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 597mg
- Calcium: 169mg
- 6 cups cherry tomatoes (about 2 pounds)
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup sliced shallots (about 3 medium)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dry polenta
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shaved fresh Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Cut several slits in the bottom of each tomato; place, stem sides down, in a shallow roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375° (do not remove tomatoes from oven); bake 45 minutes or until browned. Cover and let stand 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots; sauté 5 minutes or until browned. Add sugar; sauté 5 minutes. Add wine; reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Remove from heat; stir in tomatoes. Cover; set aside.
- Combine the milk and water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from heat, and gradually add the polenta, stirring constantly with a whisk. Cover and cook over medium-low heat 2 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon salt; cover and let stand 5 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally. Top the polenta with the tomato compote and Parmesan cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables
Food & Wine