Great served as the main component of a dish with several veggie sides!
Creamy Polenta with Warm Tomato Compote
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
You can keep the polenta warm over very low heat for up to 30 minutes; stir in a little water or milk if it gets too thick. Have a guest serve the polenta while you're carving the lamb.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup polenta, 1/3 cup tomato compote, and 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 153
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 4.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 6.8g
- Carbohydrate: 21.6g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 597mg
- Calcium: 169mg
- 6 cups cherry tomatoes (about 2 pounds)
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup sliced shallots (about 3 medium)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dry polenta
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shaved fresh Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Cut several slits in the bottom of each tomato; place, stem sides down, in a shallow roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375° (do not remove tomatoes from oven); bake 45 minutes or until browned. Cover and let stand 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots; sauté 5 minutes or until browned. Add sugar; sauté 5 minutes. Add wine; reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Remove from heat; stir in tomatoes. Cover; set aside.
- Combine the milk and water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from heat, and gradually add the polenta, stirring constantly with a whisk. Cover and cook over medium-low heat 2 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon salt; cover and let stand 5 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally. Top the polenta with the tomato compote and Parmesan cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note