Community Recipe from
- 4 cup(s) water
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 cup(s) polenta/cornmeal
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup polenta or yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup cheese (optional)
- 1-3 tablespoons butter (optional)
- 2- to 3-quart pot with lid
- Long handled spoon or sturdy spatula
- Bring the water to a boil. Bring the water to a brisk boil over medium-high heat. Add the salt.
- Pour the polenta into the boiling water. While whisking gently, pour the polenta into the boiling water in a steady stream.
- Continue whisking until polenta is thickened. Turn down the heat to low and continue whisking until the polenta has thickened enough that it doesn't settle back on the bottom of the pan when you stop stirring.
- Cook the polenta 30-40 minutes. Cover the polenta and continue cooking. Stir vigorously every 10 minutes or so, making sure to scrape the sides, bottom, and corners of the pan. Cook 30 minutes for softer porridge-like polenta or 40 minutes for thicker polenta.
- Stir in cheese and butter, if using. Stir the cheese and butter into the polenta, if using. Serve immediately, or cover the pan and let it sit at the back of the stove for up to 15 minutes before serving.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by JanieV and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Creamy Polenta Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Side Dishes/Vegetables