Creamy Pear and Parsnip Soup
Plan to make a hearty soup recipe this weekend for a filling and flavorful one-dish meal. When making this creamy soup recipe a day before you plan to serve it, be sure to chill it overnight in an airtight container. To reheat, stir occasionally over medium-high heat until steaming.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 178
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Protein: 6.7g
- Fat: 3.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Carbohydrate: 31g
- Fiber: 7.1g
- Sodium: 72mg
- Cholesterol: 6.6mg
- 2 pounds parsnips
- 1 pound carrots
- About 4 cups fat-skimmed chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 pounds ripe Comice pears
- About 1/3 cup crème fraîche or plain low-fat or nonfat yogurt
- About 1/3 cup minced fresh chives
- Salt and pepper
- 1. Peel parsnips and carrots. Cut into 1/2-inch chunks.
- 2. In a 4- to 5-quart pan, combine parsnips, carrots, and 4 cups broth. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat, cover, and simmer until vegetables are tender when pierced, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, peel and core pears. Cut into 1-inch chunks. Add to pan and stir until hot, about 2 minutes.
- 4. With a slotted spoon, transfer carrots, parsnips, and pears, in batches if necessary, to a blender or food processor. Whirl until smooth, adding enough cooking liquid to purée easily. Return to pan with cooking liquid and stir until steaming. If necessary, add more broth to thin to desired consistency.
- 5. Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with crème fraîche and chives. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note