A go-to soup recipe. It's something I can make with what's already in my pantry/fridge. I add one potato and chopped carrots to the recipe (add the carrots when you add the potato). Makes it a meatier soup.
Creamy Onion-and-Potato Soup
For thicker soup, puree half of soup in a blender or food processor. You can substitute 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans whole new potatoes for 3 large potatoes.
Yield: about 7 cups
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over low heat, and whisk in all-purpose flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Whisk in chopped onion and pressed garlic, and cook 1 minute. Gradually whisk in chicken broth until blended. Add cubed potato and next 3 ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often, 15 minutes or until cubed potato is tender. Stir in milk, and cook until soup is thoroughly heated.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note