This soup was pretty good, but needed a little more thickening to make it a meal w/ salad and bread. So our bread(whole grain) got shredded and dumped in as we ate. Didn't have any wine, so I added apple juice instead. I would add more bread during cooking next time as well as a little more boullion like another reviewer suggested. Used pre-sliced mushrooms(on sale!) that I picked up just before making to cut down on some chopping time. I will make this again to use up the rest of my dried mushrooms.
Creamy Mushroom Soup with Tarragon
The bread disappears into the soup to give it body. Dried mushrooms enhance the flavor of the fresh mushrooms. For a nice presentation, sauté some additional sliced button mushrooms to use as a garnish with the chives.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 150
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 4.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 7.6g
- Carbohydrate: 16.1g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Sodium: 767mg
- Calcium: 61mg
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 3/4 cups chopped onion
- 1/3 cup dried porcini mushrooms (about 1/2 ounce)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) package button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) package cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 (1 1/4-ounce) slice whole wheat bread
- 5 1/2 cups water
- 1 vegetable-flavored or mushroom dry bouillon cube
- 2/3 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, porcini mushrooms, tarragon, thyme, and bay leaf; sauté 10 minutes or until onions are lightly browned. Add garlic, and cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add wine, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, button mushrooms, and cremini mushrooms. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place bread in a food processor; pulse 5 times or until crumbly. Add the breadcrumbs, water, and bouillon cube. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
- Place about 2 1/2 cups mushroom mixture in a blender; process until smooth. Pour pureed soup into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining mushroom mixture, 2 1/2 cups at a time. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt and half-and-half. Top each serving with 1 teaspoon chives. Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups).
- Wine note: In Europe, rich soups such as this creamy, earthy mushroom soup are often served with a dry amontillado Sherry. If you've never tried this classic combination, now's the time. Osborne Amontillado "Coquinero" Sherry nonvintage from Jerez, Spain ($16) is a great choice. -Karen MacNeil
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews