Creamy Mashed Potato and Leek Soup
Photo: Miha Matei
Yield: Makes 6 servings
More From Real Simple
Other: 15 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 202
- Calories from fat: 33%
- Protein: 7g
- Carbohydrate: 28g
- Sugars: 4g
- Fiber: 4g
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Sodium: 599mg
- Cholesterol: 6mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 leeks, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 bulb fennel, cut into 1/4-inch pieces, plus 2 tablespoons of the fronds
- Kosher salt
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Crisps or crackers (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the leeks, fennel pieces, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 8 to 10 minutes.
Add the mashed potatoes and broth and simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through, 4 to 6 minutes. Puree in the pot using a handheld immersion blender (or, working in batches, in a standard blender).
Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with the fennel fronds. Serve with the crisps (if using).
Tip: This soup is great with other leftover vegetables. Try adding cooked carrots or parsnips before pureeing, or stir in peas at the end.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes