This is a great recipe. My kids usually devour mac and cheese; but this recipe is so rich, they can only eat a single serving and can't wait until next meal for left overs. Very rich and soooo good!
Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
Make this "better than the box" macaroni and cheese your go-to recipe.The homemade white sauce with both milk and cream and the three blocks of sharp Cheddar cheese make it a top-rated mac and cheese recipe.
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups milk
- 2 (10-ounce) blocks sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 (10-ounce) block extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (16-ounce) package elbow macaroni, cooked
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Gradually whisk in flour until smooth; cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes. Stir in salt and next 3 ingredients. Gradually whisk in half-and-half and milk; cook, whisking constantly, 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in half of sharp Cheddar cheese. Stir in extra-sharp Cheddar cheese until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Combine pasta and cheese mixture, and pour into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining sharp Cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes (bake 15 minutes longer for a crusty top). Prep: 35 min., Bake: 35 min.
- NOTE: For testing purposes only, we used Kraft Cracker Barrel cheeses.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note