I have made this recipe for the past 6 years for Thanksgiving and follow the recipe to the letter. It is delicious and is always a hit. I have to laugh at the comments on calories and fat. Reading the recipe it is obviously NOT light! I make it once a year at Thanksgiving and if I didn't, I think there might be a riot at my house!
Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups milk
- 2 (10-ounce) blocks sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 (10-ounce) block extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (16-ounce) package elbow macaroni, cooked
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Gradually whisk in flour until smooth; cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes. Stir in salt and next 3 ingredients. Gradually whisk in half-and-half and milk; cook, whisking constantly, 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in half of sharp Cheddar cheese. Stir in extra-sharp Cheddar cheese until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Combine pasta and cheese mixture, and pour into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining sharp Cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes (bake 15 minutes longer for a crusty top). Prep: 35 min., Bake: 35 min.
- NOTE: For testing purposes only, we used Kraft Cracker Barrel cheeses.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables