I made these for Christmas Eve dinner and they were pretty good. I made them per the directions and they needed a little more salt & pepper. Also, I had 6 adults and a child for dinner and there were PLENTY of potatoes left over. I would estimate this actually serves 10-12!! But, I will make them again ~ just more salt & pepper.
Creamy Leek Mashed Potatoes
- 4 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3 to 4 large leeks
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- Bring potatoes, 1 teaspoon salt, and water to cover to a boil in a Dutch oven; boil 20 to 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain, and keep warm.
- Remove root, tough outer leaves, and tops from leeks, leaving 2 inches of dark leaves. Thinly slice leeks; rinse well, and drain.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add leeks, and saute 5 minutes. (Do not brown.)
- Mash potatoes with a potato masher; stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup butter, and next 3 ingredients until blended. Stir in leeks.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables