I love this recipe. I followed it to the letter the first time. It is much better if you do not add the yogurt into the curry at the end. Eat it on the side mixed with your lamb, and your sidedish of basmati rice. It is commonly served like this in it's country of origin. The common complaint of being too thin, is not a problem for me. I wonder if they were using tomato sauce instead of diced tomato. I add extra diced tomato, for more tomato & liquid. I typically buy a 4-6 lb. boneless leg of lamb, and carve it up, and freeze half of it. I make this several times a month. My entire family loves it. It is full of spice and I tend to be heavy handed on the spices. I grate the ginger, instead of mincing it. You need a heavy pan for the simmering, I use Le Creuset 3 Qt oval roaster.
Creamy Lamb Curry
Yield: Makes 6 servings
- 2 pounds lean boneless lamb, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (1-inch) cinnamon stick
- 2 cups fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 8 fresh mint leaves, chopped
- Sprinkle lamb pieces with salt.
- Cook lamb, in batches, in a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat, stirring often, 5 minutes or until lamb is lightly browned. Remove and set aside.
- Sauté onion and ginger in a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat 1 to 2 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in coriander and next 4 ingredients. Add cooked lamb, broth, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until lamb is tender. Remove from heat; add yogurt and garam masala, stirring until blended. Sprinkle with mint.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes
Food & Wine