I used fat-free sour cream and skipped the bread crumb topping to cut calories. Also subbed broccoli for the ham to make a vegetarian side dish. Super rich and creamy! Served with Lemon-Garlic Shrimp Skewers, Herbed Basmati Rice and grilled asparagus.
Creamy Ham Casserole
More From Southern Living
Bake: 45 Minutes
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups cubed cooked ham
- 1 (3-ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon cold butter or margarine
- Cut cauliflower into florets (about 3 cups). Cook in boiling salted water to cover 10 to 12 minutes or until tender; drain and set aside.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk, whisking constantly, until mixture begins to thicken. Add cheese and sour cream, stirring until cheese melts. (Do not boil.)
- Stir cauliflower, ham, and mushrooms into cheese sauce; pour into a 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle breadcrumbs evenly over casserole. Cut 1 tablespoon butter into pieces, and sprinkle evenly over breadcrumbs.
- Bake casserole, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note