This was really tasty. Brought it to work for a breakfast potluck and everyone loved it. I made it the night before, didn't bake until the next morning. I used shredded colby and monterey jack cheeses instead of the ones listed. I also sauteed 1/2 onion finely chopped in the butter. I think that really makes a difference.
Creamy Grits Casserole
More From Southern Living
Other: 5 Minutes
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked regular grits
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into cubes
- 1 (10-oz.) block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (4-oz.) smoked Gouda cheese round, shredded
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1. Bring grits, chicken broth, and next 3 ingredients to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 4 to 5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in butter and cheeses until melted.
- 2. Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot grits mixture into eggs; add egg mixture to remaining hot grits mixture, stirring constantly. Pour grits mixture into a lightly greased 2 1/2-qt. baking dish.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly around edges. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note