- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 2/3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded fontina or Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded extra-sharp
- cheddar cheese
- 3 ounces light processed cheese (such as Velveeta Light)
- 6 cups cooked elbow macaroni (about 3 cups uncooked)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- 1/3 cup crushed onion melba toasts (about 12 pieces)
- 1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine, softened
- calories 350
- caloriesfromfat 29 %
- fat 11.2 g
- satfat 6.3 g
- monofat 2.9 g
- polyfat 0.9 g
- protein 18 g
- carbohydrate 42.4 g
- fiber 2.1 g
- cholesterol 32 mg
- iron 1.9 mg
- sodium 497 mg
- calcium 306 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 375°.
Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour in a large saucepan. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook over medium heat until thick (about 8 minutes), stirring constantly. Add cheeses; cook 3 minutes or until cheese melts, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in macaroni and salt.
Spoon mixture into a 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray. Combine crushed toasts and butter in a small bowl; stir until well-blended. Sprinkle over macaroni mixture. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.