This is so good. I've made it several times and it was a big hit.
Creamy Cumin-and-Garlic Potato Gratin
A hit of cumin puts this gratin in the same flavor world as the Moroccan steak, and creamy potatoes are a great foil. Prep and Cook Time: about 1 1/2 hours. Notes: You can assemble this dish up to a day ahead of time; chill airtight. Stick the gratin in the oven as your guests arrive.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 458
- Calories from fat: 61%
- Protein: 7.9g
- Fat: 31g
- Saturated fat: 20g
- Carbohydrate: 36g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Sodium: 653mg
- Cholesterol: 117mg
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. In a medium pan, combine whipping cream, 1 1/4 cups milk, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin. Simmer (don't boil) over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, peel potatoes and thinly slice crosswise. Spread level in a shallow 2 1/2-quart casserole or baking dish. Pour enough milk mixture over potatoes to barely cover. If potatoes aren't quite covered, add up to 1/2 cup more milk. Cover tightly with lid or foil.
- 3. Bake gratin for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until potatoes are tender when pierced and top is nicely browned, 30 to 40 minutes longer.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note